Sauteed Red Cabbage With Pineapple

Just last night I was looking for something to accompany and/or top some sausage I was grilling up but didn't really have any idea what I could create with what I had on hand.

Hmmmm. Sauerkraut sounded good, but alas, none in the pantry.

Hey, what about that red cabbage I've had in the fridge for about 3 weeks now?  What can I do with that? 
 Luckily for me, red cabbage lasts a pretty long time in the fridge.  I don't remember why I bought it in the first place but it's been staring at me everytime I open the veggie drawer, making me feel guilty.

 "All right Mr. Cabbage.  What can you bring to the table?" I asked.

Sauteed Red Cabbage with Pineapple Recipe


Feeling just a little lazy and not wanting the hassle of frying up bacon to add to the cabbage (as I usually do), I went rummaging around my fridge and pantry looking for something unique and tasty to add to the mix that would liven up the cabbage and give it a little pizazz (if you will).

It wasn't long before I spotted the pineapple on the counter and soon I was blending flavors in my mind.  Yes. I think this could be a real winner.  Plus, pineapples are really, really healthy for you.

Anyway, what's the worst that could happen? It's tastes bad and nobody eats it? Certainly not the end of the world.  Let's go for it!!!

SAUTEED RED CABBAGE WITH PINEAPPLE     {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

1 small to medium head of red cabbage that has been sliced in half, cored and shredded
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 small red onion, sliced and chopped
1/4 of a whole pineapple (peeled, cored, sliced and chopped) OR 1 small can diced pineapple bits (drained)
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (or smoked sea salt to finish)

-In a very large skillet, over medium heat add the olive oil and butter to melt.
-Add in all the shredded red cabbage and toss to coat with the butter and oil.  Cook approximately 5 minutes until the cabbage has cooked down a little and wilted.
-Season with salt and pepper to taste.
-Add the red onion and continue sauteing the cabbage and onion together an additional 5-7 minutes on medium/high.
-Reduce the heat to low and add the pineapple bits, vinegar and brown sugar.  Stir to combine and continue cooking until most (if not all) of the liquid is evaporated.
-Right before serving, add the finishing salt (or liquid smoke) and stir.


This condiment/side dish was something my husband really went wild for.  At first he wasn't going to try it (no bacon, you know) but with just a little encouragement, he tried some to top off his sausage and he then exclaimed "You need your own cooking show!".  LOL.  How sweet is that? (But hardly true!!!)

In any event, I totally encourage you to try my recipe.  I promise, if you're a traditional red cabbage fan, you'll not miss the bacon one bit!  Plus you'll get tons of additional health benefits from the pineapple.  It's a win, win in my book!

This cabbage dish can be served hot or cold and is equally delicious either way.  I had some of it cold with lunch today and it really made me do the happy dance!

Until we eat again,








Labels: , , , , , , , , ,